Free stuff for Australians that like computers and technology

OzBargain has a category of offers that are “long running” - i.e: free things that are permanent offers, not time based or one off deals. There’s over 1,800 deals, but I’ve gone through them all to find the good stuff that’s relevant to nerds like me:

• JB Hi-Fi Perks - free $10 voucher when you sign up that has no minimum spend, they also send you regular $10 off codes

• LEGO Life magazine - is sent in the mail every quarter, free, great for kids (or adults!) to browse the newest LEGO sets

• Microsoft Hyperlapse Pro - video stabilisation software designed for action cams, normally US$50 but you can get it for free

• Telstra SMS API - 1000 free SMS per month using Telstra’s API

• Free domain names - only for the first year, but various TLDs available from Porkbun like .tech, .site, .xyz and more

• Launtel NBN 7-day free - sign up for Launtel NBN and get instant activation & free usage for 7 days before they ask for payment

• Free IT short courses via Charles Sturt Uni - CCNA, CISSP and more all for free from a half-decent Australian uni

• Free TAFE courses in VIC - two tech ones, Cert IV in Cyber Security & Cert III in Info Tech

• T-Mobile - USA - 90-day free trial of T-Mobile’s 5G network via eSIM, 50GB/m max until speed cap

• Visible - USA - 15-day free trial on Visible (Verison network) via eSIM, includes calls, SMS & “unlimited” data

• Free SIM cards - free SIM cards to various telcos but no credit, good for SIM swapping/burners

• Optus 7-day eSIM - just remember to cancel the plan before the 7 days are up

• Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Oracle are evil, but the cloud stuff works just fine and is very generous compared to AWS/Google/Azure

• The Sizzle - get a 30 day free trial of Australia’s best daily email newsletter

Libraries

Local and state libraries have an awesome collection of magazines, newspapers and other learning material that’s free to access online and 100% legal. God bless them.

If you’re aware of any cool freebies/super cheap deals you think would be great to list here - post it on Ozbargain first then tell me about it!