Bit of a sanity check on my planned home cinema setup before I go booking in trades.
- Epson TW-9400/6050UB projector
- 150" 16:9 Majestic fixed screen with Evo Ultra 4K 1.26 gain white fabric
- Output is 1080 lumens when in Digital Cinema mode for P3 colour reproduction
- At 150" this equates to 20.4 foot lamberts, slightly above the SMPTE/THX recommended 16
- 3.5m from screen seating position & 50.8-degree FoV
- Used this excellent calculator from Carlton Bale & Epson USA’s throw calculator
- Denon AVC-X3700H receiver
- 5.1.4 setup (four floor speakers, four ceiling speakers & one subwoofer)
- 4x Selby CS807 speakers in ceiling
- 2x Krix Lyrix Gold floorstanders for fronts
- 1x Krix KDX V3.1 centre
- 2x Accusound Ref8.6XD rear bookshelf speakers
- 1x Accusound Ref8.6XD 200W 12" subwoofer
I had the Accusound gear already, so will see how it goes with the Krix speakers I got very cheap 2nd hand ($500 for the two fronts & centre). Worst case use the floorstanders in my study, sell the rest and buy new speakers. The Selby in-ceiling speakers were also very cheap ($100 for all 4) and I’m hoping should be fine considering the rather limited use height speakers have in Atmos titles.
- Size: 4.2m wide x 5.5m long x 2.7m high
- Ceiling, cornices, walls & interior side of sliding doors to be painted
- Haymes Ultra Premium Expressions Matt - colour choice is “Stormy Blue” (SC-092G)
- Skirting & window frames kept as is in white
- Steam clean grey carpet floor to remove furniture imprints, replace with new carpet if steam clean doesn’t restore
- Blackout curtains for window
- 3-seater recliner so I can sit in the middle get the best experience, but also a 4 seater won’t fit and the room is too small for two rows
I’d like to have gone full theater black for paint, but the Stormy Blue is a nice compromise between something aesthetically pleasing and visually useful. Window has external shutter so gets pitch black at night and very very dark during the day, but still leaks a tiny bit of light through sides on sunny days so will get blackout curtains installed with added benefit of helping sound.
- Reflections/sound quality - will it be a disaster without enough soft surfaces? Will see how it goes as is and if it bothers me I’ll look into treatments.
- 150" too big? 65cm off the ground should be fine, but could go 140" and get more brightness, cheaper screen and more appropriate sized screen for room?
- 20 ftL bright enough? Lots of mixed theories about this around the internet.
- Different impedance speakers (floorstanders are 4ohm, rest are 8ohm) & timbre matching (Accusound, Krix & Selby)?